Yamaha says: “For 2010 the ECU mapping has been revised, which together with a new muffler design makes for a smoother performance curve, giving a feeling of strong and effective acceleration throughout the engine speed range.
The development targets for the 2010 Yamaha R6 are to be the most exciting bike to ride on the track and the most fun sport bike to ride on winding roads. For 2010, the engineers have tweaked the Yamaha R6 to provide more power in the mid range and to reduce noise for improved rider comfort. But don’t worry, the high rpm rush that has made the R6 famous is ready when you are. Confidence, agility, performance and most importantly fun.
The Yamaha 2010 R6 is designed to do one thing extremely well: get around a race track in minimal time. It’s about a screaming, 15,000rpm-plus fuel-injected four-cylinder engine in a taut chassis that lets it snap from upright to full lean instantly. Oh yeah; it is a great street bike too.
The R6 is a showcase of Yamaha’s latest sport bike technologies.
From the YCC-T fly by wire throttle to the MotoGP inspired straight frame design, to Yamaha’s exclusive electronically variable intake stacks, the R6 is designed to take super sport riding to a whole new level. For 2010, we have revised the intake and exhaust systems plus re-mapped the ECU for improved power.
New for 2010
- The new, 100mm-longer muffler is designed for excellent power characteristics and reduced noise.
- The ECU settings have been revised for increased performance.
- The 2009 Daytona 200 winner is back and ready for the street or track.
- Light, powerful, and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with a fly-by-wire throttle system—for flawless response under all conditions.
- YCC-I®, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, is used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband. On the higher-revving R6, its benefits are even more pronounced.
- Back torque-limiting slipper-type clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- Compact, lightweight 67mm x 42.5mm, 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
- Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- YCC-I—Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake tract length for a broader powerband.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- Fork height adjustability and rear ride-height adjustment accommodate a great range of riders and tires.
- YCC-T uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP® for a broad powerband, and 02 sensor for spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox® aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Removable rear shock spacer and adjustable fork ride height allows the rider to tailor the ride position for the best fit and comfort.
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 – USA Specifications
MSRP* $10,490 (Raven) Available from February 2010
$10,490 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from February 2010
$10,490 (Pearl White) Available from February 2010
Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission: 6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch
Primary Reduction Ratio: 85/41 (2.073)
Secondary Reduction Ratio: 45/16 (2.813)
– 1st Gear 31/12 (2.583)
– 2nd Gear 32/16 (2.000)
– 3rd Gear 30/18 (1.667)
– 4th Gear 26/18 (1.444)
– 5th Gear 27/21 (1.286)
– 6th Gear 23/20 (1.150)
Final Drive: Chain
Suspension/Front: 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Brakes/Front Dual: 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear: 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
Length: 80.3 in
Width: 27.6 in
Height: 43.3 in
Seat Height: 33.5 in
Wheelbase: 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle): 24°
Trail: 3.8 in
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change): 3.6 qt
Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal
Fuel Economy: 40 mpg
Wet Weight: 417 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)