The all-new Super Sport scooter blurs the boundries between scooter and motorcycle.
Powered by a twin cylinder, liquid cooled, 499cc engine the 2010 Yamaha TMAX offers the comfort and performance of a motorcycle in a scooter design. The 2010 TMAX is perfect for zipping around the city or discovering the faraway wonders that this great country has to offer.
Blurring the boundaries between scooter and motorcycle – a super sport automatic fuel injected, liquid cooled, four valve per cylinder engine boasts, controlled-fill, die-cast aluminum frame, 43mm front forks, 4-piston caliper dual front disc brakes, and rear disc brake. Plus a multifunction instrumentation with speedometer and tachometer and radical sports styling.
The TMAX, is in many respects a motorcycle with the convenience of a step through design.
Featuring fuel injected twin cylinder power, huge 43mm fork and 2-up seating, the TMAX is no ordinary scooter. Whether commuting in the city or touring the Rocky Mountains, the TMAX offers serious performance and comfort. A huge under seat storage compartment and a fully automatic transmission provide unmatched convenience while an aluminium frame, R6 inspired brakes and 15″ wheels highlight its motorcycle handling and heritage. Discover why the TMAX is Italy’s most popular scooter.
• Fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, four-valve-per-cylinder engine boasts forged pistons, carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite plated cylinders. The TMAX has a 11.0:1 compression ratio; upswept muffler canister; Controlled-fill die-cast aluminum frame; 43mm front forks; 4-piston mono-block caliper dual front disc brakes; rear disc brake; aluminum die cast wheels with radial H-rated tires; fully featured multifunction instrumentation with speedometer and tachometer; and radical new sports styling; with those credentials, it’s no wonder TMAX is the Super Sport Scooter.
• Horizontally positioned 499cc parallel twin, with reciprocating balancer, offers plenty of smooth power, enough for two-up touring at highway speeds. Configuration helps keep weight low in frame for mass centralization.
• Luxury scooter appointments include a double glove box in the streamlined front apron, a positionadjustable operator backrest, a storage box under the seat spacious enough for a large full-face helmet, and the excellent wind and weather protection that comes from the TMAX’s floorboard/apron/windshield configuration.
• Continuously variable transmission connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double-cog-type rubber V-belt. Silent chain efficiently transfers power to the rear wheel. This proven system, combined with TMAX’s ample power, gives a whole new meaning—and adrenaline level—to twist-and-go throttle operation.
• The TMAX achieves fuel economy up to an estimated 47 mpg* with a fuel tank that holds 4 gallons of gas.
• Fuel-injected, DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, 499cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine is horizontally mounted and performance engineered with forged pistons, carburized connecting rods and ceramic-composite plated cylinders for plenty of tractable power. Also includes a horizontally opposed reciprocating balancer for uncommon smoothness.
• Electronic fuel-injection system provides sure starts and excellent performance in virtually all conditions and altitudes.
• Lubrication is via a semi-dry-sump system with an oil cooler for longer engine life.
• Continuously variable transmission (CVT) connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double cog-type rubber V-belt. Pivot coaxial drive shaft is used, allowing use of a swingarm separate from the powerplant for excellent handling. Two-stage, adjustment-free silent chain system then transfers power to the rear wheel.
• Muffler incorporates exhaust catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.
• Fuel tank emission system includes a charcoal canister to control gasoline evaporation and reduce air pollution.
• Using technology proven in Yamaha’s sportbike line, TMAX has a lightweight, Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum frame that provides rigidity and balance for superb handling.
• Motorcycle-type telescopic front forks use beefy 43mm tubes.
• 15-inch cast aluminum wheels front and rear are fitted with radial tires for excellent, sporty handling.
• Front double disc brakes with four-pod mono block calipers.
• Pin-slide, single piston rear brake caliper with parking brake system.
• Brake lever is adjustable for operator comfort.
• Rear seat is hinged for easy opening. Underseat storage is spacious enough to store a large full-face helmet.
• Bright headlights and taillight take their styling cues from Yamaha sportbikes.
2010 Yamaha TMAX
MSRP* $8,490 (High Tech Silver) Available from February 2010
Type: 499cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, forward inclined parallel 2-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve
Bore x Stroke: 66.0 x 73.0 mm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Fuel Delivery: Electronic fuel injection
Ignition Digital: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Clutch Type: Wet, multiple-disc automatic centrifugal
Transmission: CVT double-cog V-belt auto
Final Drive: V-belt
Suspension/Front: 43mm telescopic forks
Brakes/Front: 267mm disc
Brakes/Rear: 267mm disc
Tires/Front: 120/70-15 67H Radial
Tires/Rear: 160/60-15 67H Radial
Length: 86.4 in
Width: 30.5 in
Height: 56.9 in
Seat Height: 31.5 in
Wheelbase: 62.2 in
Ground Clearance: 4.9 in
Fuel Capacity: 4.0 gal
Fuel Economy** 47 mpg
Wet Weight 489 lb
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2010 Yamaha TMAX
MSRP: $10,999 CDN
Engine: 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, parallel twin
Displacement: 499 cc
Bore and Stroke: 66 x 73mm
Compression Ratio: 11:1
Maximum Torque: 4.7 kg-m (34.2 ft-lb) @ 6,500 rpm
Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 31mm fuel injection
Estimated Fuel Consumption* 20kpl / 56mpg (Imp.)
Lubrication Dry Sump
Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric Start
Transmission: Fully automatic
Final Drive: Enclosed chain
Suspension (Front) 43mm fork
Suspension (Rear) Single shock swingarm
Brakes (Front) Dual 267mm discs
Brakes (Rear) 267mm disc
Tires (Front) 120/70R15
Tires (Rear) 160/60R15
Length: 2,195mm (86.4”)
Width: 775mm (30.5”)
Height: 1,445mm (56.9”)
Wheelbase: 1,580mm (62.2”)
Ground Clearance: 125mm (4.9″)
Seat Height: 800mm (31.5”)
Fuel Capacity: 15 litres (3.3 Imp. gallons)
Wet Weight: 222kg (488.4 lb)
Colour(s) Hi Tech Silver, Bluish White
For more discussion on the TMAX go to link