Descended from YZ and WR, the WR250R offers trail or street performance.
You are looking at the next generation of high performance dual sport machines. Inspired by our legendary WR series, the 2010 Yamaha WR250R is a machine that offers incredible performance on the road and off. Discover for yourself just how the 250cc of fuel injected power can push the limits of performance. This revolutionary 2010 WR250R is ready to tame the twistest road or the toughest trail – with power, handling and style.
When the road ends, it’s just getting started.
The 2010 Yamaha WR250R draws upon over 50 years of Yamaha experience, on pavement and off, to bring you a bike that’ll take you practically anywhere – one hundred percent legally. More power than you might expect flows from its high-tech fuel injected DOHC engine while a hybrid aluminum frame keeps you in complete command. Pavement optional.
Yamaha has re-invented the 250cc dual sport class.
Don’t let “only” 250cc fool you. The WR250R with its fuel injected, 4-valve, liquid-cooled powerplant is ready to shatter the 250 stereotype. From titanium intake valves to its aluminium frame and swingarm, this WR is a highly concentrated dual sport weapon. Whether commuting through city traffic or blazing down your favourite trail, this WR’s is ready to provide uncompromised performance.
• Directly descended from our YZ motocrossers and WR off-road machines—even the original Yamaha YA-1 of 1955—the WR250R is here to make Yamaha’s off-road prowess street accessible.
• Not exactly an enduro model and not a streetbike either, the WR250R is for riders who ride off-road more than on. Its sibling, the supermoto-inspired WR250X, is for riders who spend more time on pavement.
• 250cc liquid-cooled, DOHC engine with two titanium intake valves and two steel exhausts, forged piston and plated cylinder for outstanding durability.
• Pentroof combustion chamber with downdraft-type straight intake helps make excellent power across the rev band, with maximum power at 10,000 rpm.
• First use of fuel injection on a 250 Yamaha on/off-road bike. The system relies on input from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor feeding a compact ECU to provide optimum combustion.
• An ECU-controlled EXUP® exhaust valve, along with an electronic intake control valve, broadens the powerband.
• High lift cams have WPC surface treatment in which the surface is sprayed with fine powder at over 100 meters per second to increase surface hardness.
• Three-axis engine layout keeps the engine compact. Wet sump tucks between frame rails to keep the engine height down.
• Rare earth-type ACM alternator keeps the weight down while providing all the current needed to run the FI and lighting systems.
• Direct ignition coil sits atop the spark plug—another first on a Yamaha on/off-road model.
• Six-speed gearbox provides a wide spread of ratios, with shower-type lubrication for reliability. A special light-action clutch makes shifting a snap.
• Tucked-in, three-chamber muffler helps keep mass centralized and the bike quiet.
• Electric start only: Leaving off the kickstarter keeps it light and simple.
• YZ/WR250-inspired semi-double-cradle frame uses a main frame of cast and forged aluminum sections, with high-strength steel downtubes for excellent strength and rigidity characteristics.
• Asymmetrical swingarm provides excellent strength/rigidity balance and a dynamic look. Cast aluminum crossmembers, extruded arms and a 22mm rear axle are carefully tuned for optimum handling.
• Fully adjustable 46mm fork provides 10.6 inches of wheel travel. A forged lower triple clamp and a cast upper one help give outstanding front-end feel. An aluminum steering stem reduces weight.
• Linkage-mounted rear shock provides 10.6 inches of travel with adjusters for compression damping, rebound damping and spring preload—and features a 14mm rod and 46mm cylinder for excellent damping and fade resistance.
• Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large 250mm front disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance. Rear pedal is forged aluminum.
• A slim, steel fuel tank is shaped with knee grip in mind, and the entire ergonomic layout is designed to make the rider feel like part of the bike.
• Narrow, YZ-inspired seat features gripper-type cover for great seat-of-the-pants feel. Seat height is 36.6 inches.
• WR enduro-style instrument panel provides excellent visibility in spite of the compact size. Basic mode provides speed, clock, tripmeter and self-diagnostic function. Measurement mode includes stopwatch, distance-compensating tripmeter, etc.
• Minimalist front and rear fenders are designed for function, simplicity and lightness.
• Bodywork with separate radiator heat outlet helps keep engine and rider cool.
• Lightweight headlight and LED taillight maximize visibility and draw less current.
• Adjustable front brake lever.
2010 Yamaha WR250R – USA Specifications
MSRP* $6,390 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from September 2009
Type: 250cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke; 4 valves
Bore x Stroke: 77.0 x 53.6mm
Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
Ignition Direct: ignition coil
Transmission: Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive: Chain
Suspension/Front: Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock; fully adjustable, 10.6-in travel
Brakes/Front: Hydraulic single-disc brake, 250mm
Brakes/Rear: Hydraulic single-disc brake, 230mm
Tires/ Front: 80/100-21
Length: 85.6 in
Width: 31.9 in
Height: 48.4 in
Seat Height: 36.6 in
Wheelbase: 55.9 in
Ground Clearance: 11.8 in
Fuel Capacity: 2.0 gal
Fuel Economy** 71 mpg
Wet Weight: 298 lb (California model 297 lb)
Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2010 Yamaha WR250R
MSRP: $7,999 CDN
Engine: 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, single
Displacement: 250 cc
Bore and Stroke: 77 x 53.6 mm
Compression Ratio: 11.8:1
Maximum Torque: 2.5kg-m (17.7 ft-lb) @ 8,500 rpm
Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 38mm throttle body F.I.
Estimated Fuel: Consumption* 30kpl / 85mpg (Imp.)
Lubrication: Wet sump
Ignition / Starting: Digital TCI / Electric Start
Suspension: (Front) Adjustable 46 mm inverted fork / 270 mm (10.6″) travel
Suspension: (Rear) Fully adjustable Monocross / 270 mm (10.6″) travel
Brakes: (Front) 250 mm floating disc
Brakes: (Rear) 230 mm disc
Tires: (Front) 80/100-21
Tires: (Rear) 120/80-18
Length: 2,175 mm (85.6″)
Width: 810 mm (31.9″)
Height: 1,230 mm (48.4″)
Wheelbase: 1,420 mm (55.9″)
Ground Clearance: 300 mm (11.8″)
Seat Height: 930 mm (36.6″)
Fuel Capacity: 7.6 litres (1.7 Imp. gal.)
Wet Weight: 134 kg (294.8 lb)
Colour:(s) Yamaha Blue