The 2010 Yamaha YZ85 may be the smallest member of the Yamaha YZ family, but it is a big time competitor. It's got the power to win with a liquid-cooled, 85cc engine, 6-speed gearbox, and adjustable suspension up front and out back. This is one mighty mini.
The mini racer of choice.
Born from the award winning YZ competition bikes. The 2010 YZ85 features a liquid-cooled, 84.7cc crankcase reed-valve-inducted six-speed that is compact and light. You also get an ultra-rigid, single backbone, semi-double-cradle frame, fully adjustable suspension and more to suit a wide range of rider from novice to mini expert.
With the same chassis and engine technology that goes into every 2-stroke YZ, the scaled-down YZ85 is a true competitor.
The YZ85, with its ultra-rigid high-tensile steel frame and 36mm inverted forks, weighs just 55kg (126lbs.) Powered by a compact yet muscular liquid-cooled 85cc engine pumping the power through a six-speed gearbox, this bike's engineered to catch some major air — and trophies, too. Fully adjustable suspensions, front and rear disc brakes and almost 11″ of wheel travel highlight “for competition use only.” Truly, this is full-sized performance in a scaled-down package.
• Liquid-cooled, 84.7cc crankcase reed-valve-inducted six-speed is light, compact and designed to deliver hard-hitting, moto-winning power throughout the rpm range.
• Ultra-rigid, single-backbone, semi-double-cradle frame is lightweight and strong for sharp handling.
• Fully adjustable suspension allows a broad adjustment range to suit everybody from rank novice to mini expert.
• 84.7cc liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve-inducted, two-stroke engine inhales through a 28mm Keihin® flat-slide carburetor; seamless throttle response across the powerband is the result.
• Digital CDI ignition system puts out a more precise spark and monitors engine speed to ensure optimal timing for quicker, stronger response during hard acceleration.
• Smooth-shifting, six-speed close-ratio transmission with heavy-duty, multiplate clutch delivers maximum hookup for outstanding acceleration and corner-exiting power.
• Involute spline set-up in clutch means smoother shifting under power with great durability at competition-level usage.
• Two-piece clutch cover provides easy access during maintenance.
• Lightweight radiator has large cores and louvers, and the water pump features a cast aluminum (vs. resin) impeller for maximum cooling efficiency.
• Lightweight exhaust system design helps create a broader powerband with stronger low-end punch.
• Airbox design ensures greater air cleaning performance and easier maintenance.
• Rear subframe is removable to allow easy maintenance.
• Lightweight 36mm KYB® inverted cartridge fork features 10.8 inches of travel with compression and rebound damping adjustability, and low-friction outer tubes and internals.
• Rear suspension features fully adjustable Kayaba link-type shock with 11.1 inches of travel and race-tested compression damping valving.
• 220mm front disc and 190mm rear disc brakes with stainless steel rotors deliver strong, precise stopping power.
• Lightweight 17-inch front and 14-inch rear rims are durable and reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance.
• Dunlop® knobbies provide great traction on a variety of tracks and terrain.
• Wide handlebar and flat fuel tank, radiator shrouds, side panels and rear fender provide rider with leverage and freedom of movement and weight transfer.
• Wide footpegs provide superb comfort, grip and ground clearance.
• Separate clutch cover with transmission oil filler opening makes for easy maintenance.
• Fuel tank cap is wider-diameter for easier usage, and large tank opening ensures fast, hassle-free refueling.
• Repackable exhaust silencer.
2010 Yamaha YZ85 – USA Specifications
MSRP* $3,690 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from February 2010
Type: 84.7cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke: 47.5 x 47.8mm
Compression Ratio: 8.2:1
Fuel Delivery: Keihin® PWK 28
Transmission: Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive: Chain Drive
Suspension/Front: Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.8-in travel
Suspension/Rear: Single shock; fully adjustable, 11.1-in travel
Brakes/Front: Hydraulic single disc brake, 220mm
Brakes/Rear: Hydraulic single disc brake, 190mm
Length: 71.7 in
Width: 30.9 in
Height: 45.7 in
Seat Height: 34.0 in
Wheelbase: 49.5 in
Ground Clearance: 13.8 in
Fuel Capacity: 1.3 gal
Wet Weight: 156 lb