The FJR Supersport tourer is turned out with a level of fit and finish and sophistication that would look at home on an expensive touring car.
With plenty ponies on tap, a lightweight aluminium frame and incredible stopping power, the 2011 Yamaha FJR1300 puts the sport into sport touring. But we have not forgotten about rider comfort either. Excellent ergonomics, a stylish weather beating fairing and the peace of mind of ABS will have the miles disappearing in the mirrors… rapidly.
Ultimate supersport tourer.
Deep, smooth power that sends you down the road like a flat rock skimming a smooth lake, a perfectly tuned chassis that bends gracefully into corner and hangs onto the line you choose, powerful brakes with advanced ABS that brings you a confident stop in all kinds of weather. And with features like heated grips, adjustable windscreen and more.
For those riders who still prefer a serious dose of power, comfort and handling in their sport touring machine, the FJR1300 is the perfect choice.
Featuring an electrically adjustable windshield, air management to keep things cool and sporty handling, you'll soon discover why the FJR1300 is one of the world's premier sport touring machines.
• Fuel Consumption * 17kpl/47mpg(Imp)
• ABS Brakes
• Advanced air management
• 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled in-line four engine delivers serious power and torque (99.1 ft-lbs of torque @ 6000 rpm) for an unequalled spread of muscle over a wide RPM range. Red line is a surprisingly low 9,000 rpm for extended engine life.
• Engine is a fully stressed chassis member, allowing for a lightweight yet rigid frame design for excellent handling.
• One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly provides tremendous engine rigidity that's lighter and stiffer than two-piece designs.
• Specially designed four-valve per cylinder head features compact, side-driven double-overhead camshafts providing outstanding low to mid rpm torque and horsepower for effortless sport touring and great passing power.
• Specially designed high lift intake and exhaust cams provide excellent torque and power characteristics well suited to sport touring.
• Ceramic composite cylinder “bores” are a “liner less” design with the ceramic coating applied directly to the aluminium block to ensure uniform heat dissipation for consistent power delivery, reduced oil consumption, reduced friction and reduced weight.
• High performance, short skirt, forged aluminium pistons are light weight for fast throttle response and also reduce reciprocating mass for less mechanical vibration. Compression ratio is 10.8:1
• Specially designed, low-vibration crankshaft features two gear-driven secondary counterbalancers delivering a smooth ride, which enhances both rider and passenger comfort.
• The crank uses carburized connecting rods for excellent strength and durability. Carburizing is a heat treating process that increases the carbon content on the outer surface of the rod increasing its strength and durability.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner reduces both maintenance and engine mechanical noise.
• Advanced electronic fuel injection (EFI) system is ideal for long-distance sport-touring. The 42mm throttle body fuel injection system with 4-hole Nippon injectors delivers crisp, seamless throttle response regardless of weather or altitude. This is a closed loop fuel injection system, with an oxygen sensor that monitors the amount of oxygen in the spent exhaust gases and adjusts the fuel -air mixture via the ECU and FI system for maximum performance with minimum emissions. The benefits of fuel injection include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy, and reduced emissions. The oxygen sensor is located before the mufflers, so the use of slip-on mufflers will not affect this system.
• Compact engine design uses a stacked “Tri-Axis” transmission (transmission shafts are stacked to minimize powerplant size front to back). The stacked design reduces engine length and centralizes mass, thereby allowing the engineers the ability to place the engine in the “sweet spot” of the frame for optimized front and rear weight distribution which provides excellent handling characteristics.
• Wide ratio 5-speed transmission utilizes widely spaced gear ratios delivering relaxed long-distance sport touring performance combined with seamless acceleration.
• Special scissors-type primary driven gear helps prevent drive train backlash and significantly reduces transmission noise for greater rider comfort.
• Light-action hydraulic clutch provides smooth, effortless shifting, minimizing both rider fatigue and maintenance. Shift shaft features a needle-roller bearing to reduce friction for silky-smooth shifting.
• Clean, quiet shaft drive system is super-durable and low maintenance. This system features mechanical cam dampers in the drive pinion for quieter, smoother power delivery to the rear wheel.
• 4-into-1-into-2 stainless steel exhaust optimizes engine performance across the power band and utilizes four, three-way catalytic converters to reduce emissions. Two are located in the junction “box” under the engine and one in each muffler. Combined with the Air Induction System (AIS), the FJR1300 is one of the cleanest-running large-capacity motorcycle engines ever built. It easily exceeds the strict European EU-3 emission standards.
• Heated oxygen sensor provides precise fuel – air ratio information to the fuel injection system to reduce emissions even further, especially at lower engine temperatures.
• Curved radiator uses twin ring-type fans for great heat dissipation and to aid in moving the hot air out of the cowl area for optimized air management and less heat to the rider. Ring type fans “pull” more air than a conventional type fan.
• Easy-access cartridge-type spin-on oil filter makes oil changes a snap.
• High capacity oil filter and large volume of engine oil (5 litres) provides extended service intervals between oil changes.
• Excessive lean angle cut-out switch prevents the engine from running in the event of a tip over. The switch will activate at 70 degrees.
• Cast aluminium twin spar, diamond-type frame, features massive twin spars. This frame design is incredibly light and extremely rigid, the perfect combination for sharp, sport bike-like handling.
• Fully detachable aluminium rear sub frame helps reduce weight while permitting easier rear shock access/maintenance.
• Lightweight, cast aluminium swingarm. The special swingarm design incorporates the shaft drive into its left side to reduce unsprung weight for incredible handling and suspension performance.
• Key chassis geometry figures include: caster angle = 26 degrees and trail of 109mm.
• Fully adjustable 48mm cartridge-style forks offer 135mm (5.4″) of wheel travel. The adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, load and road conditions. Fork adjustments include: 6 – way spring preload, 21 – way compression damping and 17 – way rebound damping.
• Adjustable link Monocross rear suspension with 125mm (4.8″) of wheel travel features a handy, two-stage (hard/soft) spring preload adjustment lever that allows the rider to easily switch between solo and two-up preload settings. Other rear shock adjustments include: 18 – way rebound damping.
• Dual 320mm front discs are squeezed by Nissin 4-piston calipers with independent brake pads for each piston. Computer controlled ABS is standard on the FJR1300.
• 282mm rear disc brake with opposed piston caliper provide outstanding stopping power. The caliper is mounted on the swingarm to reduce torque action for superior suspension and handling performance. The rear brake ABS system is also computer controlled.
• The ABS or Anti Lock Braking System features a linear controlled 3 position system. The controlling ECU and the hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit that allows for mass centralization. When the ABS system senses impending wheel, lock-up via active type wheel sensors, the system regulates the hydraulic press to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up. The benefit of ABS is excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces. The ABS system helps prevents wheel lock up.
• Unified braking system with computer controlled ABS. When the front brake is applied it activates 6 of the 8 front caliper pistons (all four LHS front pistons are activated, while only the “upper” two pistons on the RHS front caliper are activated). When applying the rear brake, both rear pistons activate and 2 front pistons activate (both rear caliper pistons are activated plus the two lower pistons on the front RHS
• Lightweight cast-aluminium 3-spoke wheels are fitted with 120/70-ZR17 front and 180/55-ZR17 rear radial tires perfectly suited to both spirited solo riding or long-range trekking.
• Adjustable handlebars offer three positions of adjustability. From the centre position, the bars can be adjusted 5.5 mm forward or 5.5mm back towards the rider. Total adjustment range is 11mm.
• Adjustable, two-piece seat features an adjustment range of 20mm (0.8″) for the rider portion of the seat. There are two steps of adjustment via specially designed eccentric rubbers. Different foam densities for the front and rear sections, ensure plush comfort for both rider and passenger.
• Stylish yet aerodynamic full fairing provides excellent wind and weather protection. Air flow management has been optimized to reduce the amount of heat that flows to the rider. There are vents on the outside of each headlight to allow cool air into the cockpit and fuel tank areas. There is also a fresh air vent below the instrument assembly.
• Middle cowl features a 2 – position adjustable visor / vent. The adjustment range is 30mm via quick turn fasteners. The rider can adjust these vents (30 mm or 1.2″ range) to allow more or less air toward the rider's hip and leg area.
• Small item storage compartment is located in the upper left side of the fairing. Inside this compartment is a 12 volt 30 watt DC power outlet for added convenience. The lid can be opened when the ignition is turned on. Its 1 litre capacity is perfect for small items such as cell phone, wallet, garage door opener etc.
• Super convenient push button operated electrically adjustable windscreen. The windshield features a fresh air duct at the bottom to reduce the vacuum tendency (negative pressure) in the cockpit area. The range of height adjustment range is 136 mm (5.4″). The windshield can be easily raised for greater wind protection or lowered for a sportier profile via a convenient handlebar-mounted switch.
• Quick-release luggage mounts mean fast removal of the 30 litre colour matched hard saddlebags. The FJR1300 has been designed to look great with or without the saddlebags installed. It takes mere seconds to install or remove the locking saddlebags or optional top case.
• Ergonomically shaped, large-capacity 25-litre fuel tank offers an excellent riding range, and is constructed of steel allowing for the use of magnetic tank bags. The reserve portion is 5 litres. The under side of the tank improves air management.
• Easy-to-read instrumentation includes an electronic analog speedometer and tachometer, LCD digital odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel and coolant temperature gauges, plus a clock as well as a range of warning lights. Other functions include outside air temperature, a gear position indicator and fuel consumption read out.
• R1-inspired cat-eye dual 60/55-watt multi-reflector halogen headlights can be easily adjusted for two up riding. Left and right sides can be independently adjusted via conveniently located screw type knobs.
• Sleek tail section helps reduce drag and features a sturdy rear passenger grab rail that can double as a small rack.
• Immobilizer ignition system is designed to reduce the possibility of “ride away” theft. This system must recognize the “coded ignition key” in order for the unit to start. If the immobilizer ignition does not recognize the key (or a thief's screwdriver or other type of “jimmy tool”) the bike will not start even if the ignition is turned or forced into the on position. If the system does not recognize the coded chip in the ignition key, it will not allow the ignition system, fuel pump or starter motor to function.
• 5-position adjustable front brake and clutch levers.
• The FJR features a convenient “one-key” system to operate all keyed devices on the bike including the main ignition and steering lock, saddlebags and optional top case.
• Sporty, aerodynamic mirror shape. The mirrors fold for convenience.
• Dual-bulb taillight assembly and integrated turn signals for a slick, integrated look.
• Stylish clear front and rear turn signal lens
• Small under seat area can hold a small U-lock.
• Low-maintenance sealed battery
• Variable heated grips keep hands warm on cool days or evenings
• Glove box contains a 12V outlet for phones, GPS units, electric vests, etc.
• The FJR1300 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
MSRP: * $15,490 (Liquid Silver) Available from February 2011
Type 1298cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves
Bore x Stroke 79 x 66.2mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Shaft
Suspension / Front 48mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.3-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 4.9-in travel
Brakes / Front Dual 320mm disc, UBS ABS
Brakes / Rear 282mm disc, UBS ABS
Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17 radial
Tires / Rear 180/55-ZR17 radial
Length 87.8 in
Width 29.5 in
Height 57.1 in
Seat Height 31.69 or 32.48 in
Wheelbase 60.8 in
Ground Clearance 5.1 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26°
Trail 4.3 in
Fuel Capacity 6.6 gal
Fuel Economy** 39 mpg
Wet Weight*** 644 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
For more discussion on Yamaha Motorcycles go to link