The ideal choice for the next generation of champions.
Don't let its small size fool you; the 2011 Yamaha YZ85 is a major competitor. It has the power to win with a liquid-cooled, 84.7cc engine, six-speed gearbox and adjustable suspension up front and out back. This is one mighty mini.
Born from the award wining YZ competition bikes, YZ85 features a liquid-cooled, 84.7cc crankcase reed-valve-inducted six-speed that is compact and light.
You also get an ultra-rigid, single backbone, semi-double-cradle frame and fully adjustable suspension. Designed to suit a wide range of riders from novice to mini expert.
• 84.7cc Two-Stroke Engine
• Adjustable Suspension
• Smooth-shifting 6-Speed Transmission
• Lightweight, compact, 84.7cc, liquid-cooled, crankcase reed-valve inducted,
• Crankcase reed valve induction and 28mm Keihin flat-slide carburetor ensures seamless throttle response across the powerband. The aluminium carb body helps reduce weight.
• Lightweight, forged piston means less reciprocal mass and less friction for a faster revving engine with great durability.
• Digital CD ignition system provides a hot, precise spark and monitors engine speed to ensure optimal timing for quicker, stronger response during hard acceleration. This is a maintenance-free system.
• Smooth-shifting, 6-speed transmission with involute splines on main and drive shafts are mated to a heavy-duty, multi-plate clutch delivering maximum hook-up for outstanding acceleration and corner-exiting power.
• Clutch cover features a quick remove sub-cover for fast, easy access during maintenance.
• Lightweight radiator with large size cores and computer-designed louvers provides maximum cooling efficiency.
• Washable, dual-stage, foam filter ensures great air filtering performance and easy, economical maintenance.
• Lightweight exhaust system is specially designed to create a broad powerband with strong low-end punch. The aluminium silencer is re-packable to maintain optimum performance and reduced noise levels.
• Rigid, semi-double cradle steel frame is ultra-lightweight and incredibly strong providing minimal flex for razor-sharp moto-wining handling
• Detachable rear subframe allows easy access for suspension maintenance
• Lightweight box-section aluminium swingarm provides excellent rigidity for awesome rear wheel control and traction.
• Lightweight, adjustable 36mm inverted Kayaba cartridge fork provides 275mm (10.8″) of wheel travel and adjusts for compression and rebound damping. Adjustments include: 20 clicks of both compression and rebound damping. Their construction offers YZ125/250 type valving and low-friction seals to ensure a smooth, compliant stroke for superior suspension performance and handling. Optional fork springs are available through Yamaha Genuine Parts and Accessories.
• Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock providing 282mm (11.1″) of wheel travel. The piggyback design helps to keep the shock cool during a long moto to provide fade resistant damping and consistent performance. Adjustments include spring preload, 20 clicks of compression and 20 clicks of rebound damping. Optional shock springs are available through Yamaha Genuine Parts and Accessories.
• 220mm front disc with twin piston caliper and stainless steel rotor deliver strong stopping power with excellent control and great feedback. “Shorty style” adjustable brake lever can be tailored to fit various hand sizes.
• 190mm stainless steel rear disc brake is squeezed by a single piston caliper. The caliper is protected by a rugged plastic protector.
• Lightweight 17″ front and 14″ rear DID rims provide exceptional durability and help reduce unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance.
• Slim line body design and flat seat provide excellent freedom of movement for the rider. The seat features a “gripper” type seat.
• Sealed tapered steering head bearings for durability.
• Cleated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever tip provide superb grip and excellent durability.
• Wide, cast-alloy footpegs are serrated to provide superb comfort, grip and ground clearance.
• Wide-diameter fuel tank cap and large tank opening ensures fast, hassle-free refuelling.
• Stainless steel inner clutch cable ensures longer life and smooth operation
• Sealed pivot on kickstarter helps reduce wear.
• Rubber boots on clutch and brake levers help reduce dirt, mud, and water entry for improved durability.
• Convenient lifting holes in side cover.
• Rugged chain guide helps prevent chain from de-railing and also protects the rear sprocket.
• Heavy-duty rubber swingarm protector.
• Stylish crossbar pad.
• YZ85 large wheel kit (19″/17″) is available through Yamaha Genuine Parts & Accessories.
MSRP* $3,850 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from September 2010
Type 85cc liquid-cooled 2-stroke; reed-valve inducted
Bore x Stroke 47.5 x 47.8mm
Compression Ratio 8.2:1
Fuel Delivery Keihin® PWK 28
Transmission Constant-mesh 6-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Chain Drive
Suspension / Front Inverted fork; fully adjustable, 10.8-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; fully adjustable, 11.1-in travel
Brakes / Front Hydraulic single disc brake, 220mm
Brakes / Rear Hydraulic single disc brake, 190mm
Tires / Front 70/100-17-40M
Tires / Rear 90/100-14-49M
Length 71.7 in
Width 29.8 in
Height 45.7 in
Seat Height 34.0 in
Wheelbase 49.5 in
Ground Clearance 13.8 in
Fuel Capacity 1.3 gal
Wet Weight*** 156 lb
Warranty 30 Day (Limited Factory Warranty)