Once and awhile it’s nice to make fun of motorcycle racers with a little irreverent humor and irony and this is what Spanish website Solomoto is doing with their poll ‘Orejas de Burro’ (Donkey Ears) which is more or less, who had the most embarrassing moment or made a stupid mistake and deserves to receive the ‘Donkey of the Year Award’.
We already know that Colin Edwards wanted to give Rossi’s special edition Donkey helmet and ears to Alex DeAngelis for taking him and Nicky Hayden out on the first lap at Misano, we’ve got some ideas from SoloMoto, but we’ve added a couple of our own.
1. Julian Simon, the 125cc World Champion, who was already celebrating his win at Barcelona, but it wasn’t the last lap.
2. Alvaro Bautista was celebrating his third place podium at Brno on the cool down lap with a wheelie, flipped and totalled his Aprilia.
3. Ducati, Casey Stoner and Nicky Hayden who used full wet tires at Donington when everyone was on slicks and got lapped.
4. Casey Stoner who binned his Ducati on the warm up lap at Valencia.
5. The Yamaha Sterilgarda team; who forget to re-fill Ben Spies’ gas tank at Monza. The America was leading the race on the final turn of the last lap and ran out of fuel leaving him running on empty.
6. Andrea Iannone who crashed into Pol Esparagaro at Misano and then the two proceeded to push and shove each other and Iannone butt headed Espargaro and would then on TV launch racial slurs against the Spaniard.
7. Valentino Rossi for crashing at Indianapolis and letting Jorge Lorenzo gain precious championship points.
8. Jorge Lorenzo for crashing out at Phillip Island on the first lap and giving Valentino Rossi an almost uncatchable adavantage in the standings with only two races left in the season.
9. Dani Pedrosa at Laguna Seca, he won the race, but slowed down so much on the final laps that Valentino Rossi almost caught him.
10. The organizers at Imola, who almost found themselves with a riders protest on their hands due to a slippery track surface
Remember guys this is only for fun, something like the Razzie Awards and if we’ve forgetten something let us know along with your choice for the Donkey of the Year award or head over to SoloMoto and vote.
For more discussion on Yamaha Racing go to link